Sleep plays a vital role in the physical and mental well-being of all peoples. According to experts, sleep is a good food for the brain and it ensures proper functioning of various body parts.It is therefore essential in that it helps avoid several diseases and mental health problems. Skipping or having lack of sleep can be harmful not only on a personal level but it can also cause large-scale damage.
Health Benefits of a Good Sleep
- Boosts the immune system – studies have shown that having a regular good sleep will keep you from catching diseases such as colds, cough, fever and other illness. It also improves the immune system, helping it to avoid diseases like heart disease and diabetes.
- Keeps the heart healthy – sleep plays an important role in repairing and healing the heart and blood vessels.
- Better brain function – a good sleep can improve memory because during sleep, the brain is still working – the brain strengthens memory and practices skills when you are awake.
- Have a healthier weight and helps you to keep a healthy figure – a good quality sleep is better that undergoing diet or exercise programs. Sleep and metabolism are being controlled by the same portion of the brain and those same hormone drive appetite.
- Reduces stress and depression – a good sleep can help a moody person decrease the level of anxiety and improve emotional stability.
- Improves creativity and interest to other activities – if you have a better sleeping habits, you feel more inspired to do creative and other activities as it gives the brain enough time to restructure and reorganize them.
Inadequate sleep may cause physical and emotional problems, such as:
- Heart disease
- Results to unhealthy skin and hair, more prone to pimples and acne and other skin problems.
- Limit brain functions such as inability to learn properly, concentration difficulties, impaired reasoning, irritability and impatience and most importantly memory loss
- Gives feeling of unexplained sadness, depression and psychiatric problems
- May cause inconsistent eating habits and eating unhealthy foods that leads to weight gain
Tips on Improving the Quality of Sleep
- Make sleeping a priority
- Go to bed early
- Start winding down 45 minutes to 1 hour before going to sleep
- Have a good thought and write down what’s on your mind
- Avoid large amount of meals, caffeine and alcohol in the evening
- Institute a regular sleeping pattern even on weekends
- Listen to calming and mellow music
- Limit usage of electronic devices and try avoiding television and computers the hour before going to sleep
- Make a good room for your sleep keeping it cool, dark and quiet
- Exercise for at least 30 minutes daily
Getting a good quality of sleep does not only keep you from having dark circles around the eyes,but also helps you achieve healthy and improved lifestyle that will help you in your day to day activities, be they physical or mental activities. It will also make you feel and look beautiful and help you to work and study well as it gives you the right concentration and energy.
>> READ MORE: Top Rated Memory Foam Mattress Topper for 2016